Saturday, February 12, 2011

Manahawkin Bay, NJ


Maybe one of the first items that captured my eye when I relocated here.  The old beach cottage sits just off the highway.  I have been told its one of the most photographed items on Long Beach Island.  Maybe second to the light house, maybe.  The color and texture of the weather beaten wood just draws you in.  The Christmas wreath and the American Flag at first seem so out of place.  But then you imagine its glory days and the sunrises visible across the bay from its back deck.

This really should have been an icon for the Island to cherish.  But from what I understand, a local politician acquired ownership and blocked attempts by the historical society from protecting it.  The cottage was originally built by one of the first MDs of the area.  I can only imagine how peaceful the scene was 50 years ago.  The over development since 1980 has crushed the feel of the Jersey Shore that I remember as a young city punk.

It was a cold February morning when I shot this.  As I approached through the bay grass, I could here the distinct movement of a four legged animal, larger than a possum but small enough to stay out of my view.  Peering through a window, I was able to answer a question lots of motorists have wondered, "What's inside?"  Easy answer, "The roof"!  Structurally, I am unsure how much longer it will stand.  Between these two past winters and the steady plowing winds off the bay, its life is short.

My eyes have not made up my mind yet.  Unsure as to its best view, color or black & white?  Several have said the B&W shows the texture but a very respected opinion favors the color.  For here both get viewed, when I finally figure out what the heck I am doing with these images, I will choose one, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment